Housing Specialist – Newark
Under the supervision of the Client Services Manager, performs duties relating to the counseling of clients regarding housing services and providing information and referral services as needed.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Screen clients referred for (Housing Placement Assistance) HPA and identify individuals in need of housing assistance.
- Identify permanent housing for clients.
- Inspect apartments utilizing HUD’s standard checklist;
- Assist clients with placement in transitional housing.
- Negotiate with landlords and provide complete assistance with lease and other documents.
- Provide Housing Retention Counseling to clients of the program.
- Refer clients to ensure connection to medical care.
- Documentation of baseline viral load, CD4 count, AIDS diagnosis and antiretroviral prescriptions for 100% of clients.
- Conduct counseling sessions with clients pertaining to housing needs, options, and social service referrals.
- Provide housing case management to clients, aligning clients with appropriate service providers throughout the service area.
- Develop and implement outreach activities including networking with other community- based organizations, support groups, religious organizations, etc. Participate in outreach activities for high-risk groups.
- Establish, maintain and update client case records using approved agency forms and procedures. Ensure confidentiality of all records.
- Prepare monthly reports in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
- Coordinate availability of funding with Finance Department and Client Services Manager
- Refer and advocate for client placement in permanent and transitional housing programs
- Maintain and update client information in eCOMPAS and CAREWare
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and supervisory conferences
- Maintain working relationships with other community providers
- Observe established administrative procedures.
- Provide written reports and maintain statistics as required
- Represent the agency at community events, meeting and conferences
- Attend and participate in staff training opportunities.
- Adhere to Hyacinth policies and procedures including client confidentiality provisions
- Commitment to Hyacinth philosophy
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Bachelor’s degree plus one year experience in HIV/AIDS, education or related field.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communications.
- Access to currently registered car and a valid driver’s license.