Under the supervision of the Harm Reduction Manager Nurse must provide an integration of Early Intervention Services (EIS) and Syringe Access Services (SAP).
Early Intervention duties
- Provide all 4 components of EIS:
- HIV Testing
- Targeted counseling
- Referral services linkage to care
- Health education and literacy training that enable clients to navigate the HIV system of care
- Provide targeted HIV testing to help the unaware learn of their HIV status and receive referral to HIV care and treatment services if found to be HIV- infected
- Coordinate HIV Testing services with other HIV prevention and testing programs to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Access and link clients to HIV care and support services such as HIV Outpatient/Ambulatory Health Services, Medical Case Management, and Substance Abuse Care, housing, emergency financial assistance, food, etc.
- Provide outreach Services and Health Education/Risk Reduction related to HIV diagnosis
ARCH Nurse (SAP) duties
- Provide a full range of HIV prevention education services to those who are at risk for HIV
- Conduct screening and referral for PrEP
- Management and administration of vaccines (safe and proper injection techniques).
- Provide STI testing with provision of results to the client under the direction of NJ’s STD program. Treat individuals with positive results as appropriate, or refer to a health care provider and report all reportable positive results to the local health department of the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services as required.
- Provide Narcan (Naloxone) as needed to counter the effects of opioid overdose. Provide risk reduction education to the client to help reduce the risk of HIV transmission and mother-to-child transmission.
- Provide education on basic wound management services, overdose prevention and safer injection techniques. Make appropriate referrals, as needed.
- Maintain an appropriate medical record for all patients as required by the New Jersey Board of Nursing and the Board of Medical Examiners.
- Arrange for medical oversight by a physician as required by the New Jersey Board of Nursing and the Board of Medical Examiners. Arrange for the provision of standing orders for all immunizations and laboratory testing by a physician with an active license from the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners as well as appropriate malpractice coverage.
- Provide HIV Testing and Counseling and treatment regimens
- Conduct urine collection and processing for STD/STI testing, interpretation of results, knowledge of and administering or referring for STD/STI treatment
- Patient education: HAV/HBV/HCV/HIV/STD/STI testing, disease process, treatment, prevention; Pregnancy including effects of illicit drugs/Methadone/Suboxone on individual and fetus/newborn; sex risk reduction strategies; IDU and OD risk reduction strategies; Naloxone distribution and training; locating accessible veins and safer injection techniques; HTN; Diabetes; pathophysiology effects of drug use on the body.
- Ensure that all sessions are held discretely in places and at times that are accessible to all clients.
- Reviews client progresses and evaluates against output, performance and outcome objectives.
- Gather all pertinent documentation required by funding source and accurately input nursing service and referral details into agency database.
- Document all encounters with or for the client in the client file as detailed in the agency policies and procedures.
- Facilitate service referrals for needed services in a timely manner.
- Respond to emergency situations as they arise.
- Conduct routine follow-ups as dictated by the funding source.
- Generate monthly reports for agency as required
- Routinely solicit client feedback
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned
Data Collection for (SAP) and EIS
- Data must be entered in CAREWARE and ARCH nurse database
- Data entry and management of three computerized data collection reporting programs (ARCH Database, RN Testing Log, NJIIS Vaccine Management, Evaluation Web); competent in working in Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail and web navigation. Order, inventory maintenance and proper disposal of all nursing supplies.
- Document and report on numbers of HIV tests and positives, as well as where and when Part B-funded HIV testing occurs
- Document that HIV testing activities and methods meet CDC and state requirements
- Document the number of referrals and linkages for health care and supportive services.
- Document training and education sessions designed to help individuals navigate and understand the HIV system of care
- Track timesheets to indicate time spent conducting EIS and ARCH duties.
- Manage all aspects of vaccine ordering, receiving, storage, administration proper disposal and documentation. Ability to network with local, state and national resource agencies to assist in linking clients to appropriate medical, behavioral and drug recovery services
Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Commitment to Hyacinth philosophy
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and interests.
- Phlebotomy certification/experience for serum blood testing (HBV/HCV & HIV)
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing plus one-year experience in HIV/AIDS, education or related field.
- Knowledge of HIV and harm reduction as well as familiarity with the social service delivery system particularly in regards to substance abuse and mental health.
- Critical thinking, decision-making skills, proficiency in written and verbal communications.
- Access to currently registered car and a valid driver’s license.
- Licensed as a professional registered nurse in New Jersey.
- A minimum of two (2) years community nursing experience.
- Teaching and adult education experience preferred.
Hyacinth AIDS Foundation is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and will consider all qualified applicants without regard to sex, race, creed or religion, color, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, or veteran, sexual orientation or marital status.